Antarctic Explorer 12 day Cruise
From Punta Arenas, Chile To King George Sound, Antarctic Peninsula - 11 Nights
- Departing from:
- Punta Arenas, Chile
- King George Sound, Antarctic Peninsula
- 11 Nights
- Current Saving up to 15%. Multiple dates January to March in 2022 & 2023. Contact our office for a full dossier.
- Tour Operator:
- Aurora Expeditions,Cruise Traveller
- Reference Code:
Price per person
Early Antarctic explorers returned from their voyages to the deep south with tales of a magnificent, ice-covered land teeming with life. Experience the awe-inspiring immensity of Antarctica yourself, reducing your time on the high seas by flying across the Drake in at least one direction. Immerse yourself in the unimaginable beauty of the Antarctic Peninsula, where vast glaciers tumble into the sea, penguins are dwarfed by soaring peaks and humpback and minke whales feast on abundant krill.
See and hear the busting activity of a penguin city
Chance to spot leopard seals on ice floes from our Zodiacs
Zodiac-cruise in search of feeding and breaching whales
Skip one or two legs of the Drake Passage to maximise your holiday time in the white continent
Day 1 Arrive Punta Arenas
Arrive in Punta Arenas, where you will be met by a representative of Aurora Expeditions and transferred to your downtown hotel. Overlooking the Straits of Magellan, the city sits astride one of the world’s most historic trade routes. Today, Punta Arenas reflects a great mix of cultures, from English sheep ranchers to Portuguese sailors, and it remains an utterly fascinating testament to Chile’s rich history. Enjoy free time to explore Punta Arenas at your own pace. At 3:30 pm, meet your fellow expeditioners at a Welcome Reception and Pre-Embarkation Briefing.
During your briefing the timings for your transfer to join your flight to King George Island will be confirmed. You will be provided with Aurora Expeditions cabin tags. Please clearly label the tags with your name and ship cabin number. At the end of your briefing the Punta Arenas clinic will conduct your mandatory health screening and rapid COVID test at the hotel for your convenience. Afterwards, you will be required to self-isolate in your room for the evening. Room service is available at the hotel and several Punta Arenas restaurants have dine-out options. (Dinner not included).
Accommodation: Hotel Dreams del Estrecho
Day 2 Fly Punta Arenas to King George Island
After breakfast, check-out. Please ensure your cabin luggage is fitted with cabin tags clearly labelled with your name and cabin number.
You will be transferred to Punta Arenas airport for our charter flight to King George Island, Antarctica (weather permitting). The flight will take approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.
On arrival into King George Island our expedition team is on hand to greet you for your Zodiac transfer to board the vessel. You’ll have time to settle into your cabin before our important briefings.
Note: King George Island is located at the northern part of the Antarctic Peninsula in the South Shetland Islands and is one of the most remote places on Earth. A clear sky with perfect visibility is required in order for the plane to take off and land safely. We apologise in advance for any delays.
Days 3-10 Antarctic Peninsula
It’s almost impossible to describe the feeling of arriving in Antarctica. Spotting your first iceberg and taking a deep breath of some of the most fresh, crisp air on earth is an experience that will stay with you forever.
Once we arrive, the western side of the Antarctic Peninsula and the South Shetland Islands are ours to explore, and we have a host of choices available to us. Because we are so far south, we will experience approximately 18-24 hours of daylight and the days can be as busy as you wish.
Your experienced expedition team, who have made countless journeys to this area, will use their expertise to design your voyage from day to day, choosing the best options based on the prevailing weather, ice conditions and wildlife opportunities.
We generally make landings or Zodiac excursions twice a day. You’ll want to rug up before joining Zodiac cruises along spectacular ice cliffs or among grounded icebergs, keeping watch for whales, seals and porpoising penguins. Zodiacs will also transport you from the ship to land, where you can visit penguin rookeries, discover historic huts and explore some of our favourite spots along the peninsula.
While ashore we aim to stretch our legs, wandering along pebbly beaches or perhaps up snow-covered ridgelines to vantage points with mountains towering overhead and ice-speckled oceans below. If you have chosen an optional activity, you’ll have the option to do that whenever conditions allow, and of course keen polar plungers will have the chance to fully immerse themselves in polar waters – conditions permitting!
In addition to Zodiac cruises and shore excursions, we may ship cruise some of the narrow, dramatic straits separating offshore islands from the mainland, or linger in scenic bays to watch whales travelling or feeding. This is a great time to enjoy the observation lounge or make your way to the bridge (Captain’s call) for uninterrupted views of Antarctica in all its splendour. Keep an ear out for the creak and deep rumble of glaciers as they carve their way from summit to sea. Take a quiet moment to experience the wonder of this incredible white continent.
Day 11 Fly King George Island to Punta Arenas
As we approach Frei Base on King George Island, it is time to farewell Antarctica and our amazing adventure before boarding our flight (approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes) to Punta Arenas, Chile. On arrival at the Punta Arenas airport, you will be transferred to our group hotel.
Accommodation: Hotel Dreams del Estrecho
Note: King George Island is located at the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula in the South Shetland Islands and is one of the most remote places on Earth. A clear sky with perfect visibility is required in order to take off and land safely. We apologise in advance if you experience any delays.
Day 12 Punta Arenas
After breakfast, bid a fond farewell to your fellow travellers as we all continue our onward journeys, hopefully with a newfound sense of the immense power of nature. A transfer to the airport is included in the voyage fare. (Breakfast included).
It is your responsibility to check if your government requires you to have a COVID test prior to boarding an international flight to return to your country of residence. If this applies to you, then you may be required to book additional nights after the voyage. Please speak with your travel agent or with an Aurora Expeditions consultant at least four weeks prior to departure if you need assistance booking additional post-voyage arrangements
- Arrival transfer from airport to hotel in Punta Arenas on day 1
- Two night’s hotel accommodation with breakfast in Punta Arenas (days 1 & 11)
- Mandatory pre-embarkation health screening and COVID test on day 2
- Transfer from hotel to airport in Punta Arenas on day 2
- Return charter flight Punta Arenas to King George Island (days 2 & 11)
- Transfer from airport to hotel in Punta Arenas on day 11
- Transfer from hotel to airport in Punta Arenas on day 12
- On-board accommodation during voyage including daily cabin service
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks with dinner
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell reception including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- All shore excursions and Zodiac cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from expedition team
- Complimentary access to our onboard expedition doctor and medical clinic (initial consult)
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Complimentary use of muck boots during the voyage
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Port surcharges, permits and landing fees
Note: A $15 USD per person per day gratuity for the crew is automatically added to your onboard account. It is at your discretion if you would like to remove the tip (or increase/decrease the amount) when you settle your bill. It is not necessary to tip the expedition team members. This gratuity amount is included for suites as part of their ‘Suite Benefits.’
- International or domestic flights to or within South America, unless specified
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Passport, visa, reciprocity and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharges
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges.