Orangutan Adventure Tour in Central Kalimantan
From Pangkalan Bun, To Kumai, Camp Leakey, Pondok Tanggui, Tanjung Harapan, Nipa Palm, - 3 Nights
- Departing from:
- Pangkalan Bun,
- Kumai, Camp Leakey, Pondok Tanggui, Tanjung Harapan, Nipa Palm,
- 3 Nights
- This private tour runs daily as required
- Tour Operator:
- Orangutan Sister Tour
- Reference Code:
- Sister Tour
Price per person
Looking for a bit of adventure beyond watching orangutans in the wild? Then you should try our orangutan adventure package in Tanjung Puting National Park. We would like to take you exploring the park at night, replanting trees, and visit Sekonyer River Village to experience their daily activity.
DAY 1: PANGKALAN BUN AIRPORT / HOTEL – KUMAI – TANJUNG HARAPAN CAMP – HOUSEBOAT. (L, D)
– Arrive in Pangkalan Bun airport in the morning. One of our guides from Sister Tour will pick you up and transfer you a short distance to Kumai.
– Start cruising up the Kumai and Sekonyer Rivers. Enjoy your first lunch with our traditional food on the kelotok (local boat).
– After 2 hour cruising deeper up the Sekonyer River, we will stop by the jetty of Tanjung Harapan Camp to see orangutans in their natural habitat. It takes short trekking around 20 minutes to get to the orangutans feeding platform. Feeding time in Tanjung Harapan starts at 3 pm.
– When you are ready, we walk back to the boat and start cruising further up the Sekonyer River. It is a good time to watch Proboscis monkeys back home in late afternoon.
– Free time in the evening and have supper on the kelotok.
– Stay overnight on board.
DAY 2: HOUSEBOAT – CAMP LEAKEY – PONDOK AMBUNG – HOUSEBOAT. (B, L, D)
– After breakfast, we will cruise slowly to the legendary Leakey Camp. You can enjoy more views of the river’s backwater. If you’re lucky enough, you might see orangutan at the riverbank, various birds (stork billed kingfisher is quite common here), and false gharial crocodiles.
– On arrival in Leakey Camp, walk up to the boardwalk to the camp to see the Orangutan Information Centre. Continue the tour to see the orangutan feeding at 2 pm. You can stay or explore at leisure as feeding continues till 4 pm.
– Walk back to the boat. We will moor the boat at Pondok Ambung Tropical Forest Research Station for a night walk (optional). You may find nocturnal primates or wild cats at night in the jungle.
– Dinner and overnight on board.
DAY 3 : HOUSEBOAT – PONDOK TANGGUI CAMP – REPLANTING TREES – SEKONYER RIVER VILLAGE – HOUSEBOAT. (B, L, D)
– After breakfast, go downstream on the Sekonyer River and head to Pondok Tanggui Camp to see Orangutan feeding at 9 am. Enjoy Pondok Tanggui until 10 am.
– After that walk back to the boat and visit the reforestation project of the Friends of National Park Foundation, our local NGO (non-government organisation) partner. You are more than welcome to join in replanting trees.
– When you are ready, back to the boat and cruise to the Village of Sekonyer to see local daily activities. Lunch will be served on board before our visit to the village.
– In the village you may see and practice weaving a simple mat made from reeds.
– Back to the boat and look for more Proboscis monkeys rooting in the trees along the riverbank.
– Dinner and overnight on board.
DAY 4 : HOUSEBOAT – KUMAI – PANGKALAN BUN AIRPORT. (B)
– After breakfast, boat to Kumai port near Pangkalan Bun. From Kumai, we will transfer you to your hotel or the airport.
– End of tour and thank you for visiting Tanjung Puting National Park
– For Day 3 another optional program is recommended to add to your day – you can ask your tour guide to visit Tanjung Harapan Camp for another orangutan feeding.
Our tour package includes:
– Transfer in-out from airport or hotel
– Houseboat with full-board service
– Entrance fee to the national park
– English speaking guide
– Meals (NO palm oil products) as mentioned in the itinerary – beverages and local chef service during the tour. (Please let us know if you have any food allergies or special dietary)
– Contribution to local children’s education and women community (we allocate 5% of the tour price for this program)
– Fuel and clean water during the tour
– Rain coat, flash light, mosquito repellent.
– Flight tickets (Guidepost Tours can assist in selecting the best international flights and domestic connections in Indonesia)
– Travel insurance
– Souvenir and other personal expenses, please bring Indonesian Rupiah with you
– Gratuity for tour guide and boat crews
– There are no 5 star hotels, because you will explore rain forest in Borneo.
– Rimba Eco Lodge (optional) please check www.rimbaecolodge.com
– Bana Lodge (optional): email@example.com
– If there is still enough time before your flight we can include a city tour to see the local market, Arut River, and Sultan Palace in Pangkalan Bun.
– We are always ready to take care of your trip. Itineraries can be tailored to include any special requests or interests, If any problems occur during the tour, your tour guides will do their best to make your trip run smooth and well throughout.
THINGS YOU MIGHT WANT TO PACK:
– Camera plus extra film and battery
– Water proof bags for your camera or electrical appliances
– Sun block to avoid sun exposure
– Long pants, long sleeves, and socks might also be needed to provide protection from mosquitoes. Mosquito nets are provided on board the kelotok.
– Medicine or other personal things.
All meals are fresh and hygienic.
Please advise us beforehand of any special dietary requirements.
Local government has BANNED the sale of any alcoholic beverages in recent years due to many accidents and problems.
INTERNET AND PHONE COVERAGE:
There is NO Internet and Phone Coverage in most of the Tanjung Putting National Park Area although Wi-Fi may be available in major towns.
Because if its proximity to the equator, Kalimantan has a tropical climate. Generally the weather is hot and humid (28-33 degree celcius) during the day, and wet in the evening.
You can draw your money via ATM’s here – Visa and MasterCard is readily accepted. The banks in Central Kalimantan are BNI (Bank Negara Indonesia), BRI (Bank Republik Indonesia), MANDIRI, and BCA (Bank Central Asia). Money changers are available at other big cities in Indonesia but are NOT available at Pangkalan Bun. We highly suggest that you change foreign currency to IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) before flying to Pangkalan Bun.