Orangutan & Houseboat Tour in Central Kalimantan
From Pangkalan Bun, To Kumai, Camp Leakey, Sekonyer River, Tanjung Puting National Park, - 2 Nights
- Departing from:
- Pangkalan Bun,
- Kumai, Camp Leakey, Sekonyer River, Tanjung Puting National Park,
- 2 Nights
- Private tour operates daily as required
- Tour Operator:
- Orangutan Sister Tour
- Reference Code:
- Sister Tour
Price per person
Our essential tour package to visit the capital of the orangutan world in Tanjung Puting National Park. Let’s go cruising on the Sekonyer River, trekking through the tropical forest and watching animals, especially orangutans, in their natural habitat. You will be staying 2 nights on our kelotok (houseboat) and wake up in the morning to the ‘orchestral’ sound of the forest.
DAY 1 : PANGKALAN BUN AIRPORT / HOTEL – KUMAI – TANJUNG HARAPAN CAMP – HOUSEBOAT. (L, D)
– Our local guide will meet and greet you upon your arrival at Iskandar Airport in Pangkalan Bun. Early flight arrival is recommended before 12:00 noon.
– Transfer to the local port at Kumai and start cruising up the Kumai and Sekonyer Rivers. Enjoy your first lunch with our traditional food on the kelotok (local boat).
– After 2 hours cruising deeper up the Sekonyer River we will stop by the jetty of Tanjung Harapan Camp to see orangutans in their natural habitat. It takes about 20 minutes trekking to get to the orangutans feeding platform. Feeding time in Tanjung Harapan starts at 3 pm.
– When you are ready, we walk back to the boat and start cruising up the Sekonyer River. It is a good time to watch Proboscis monkeys and other wild animal by the river.
– Free time in the evening and have supper on the kelotok.
– Stay overnight on board.
DAY 2 : HOUSEBOAT – PONDOK TANGGUI CAMP – CAMP LEAKEY – HOUSEBOAT. (B, L, D)
– After breakfast, we continue cruising up to the Pondok Tanggui Camp. Orangutans feeding time in this Camp starts at 9 am.
– From Pondok Tanggui, we cruise up to the legendary Leakey Camp. It takes around 1.5 hours to get there. Lunch will be served on the kelotok.
– From the jetty of Leakey Camp, we’ll walk up the boardwalk to the camp to see the Orangutan Information Centre. Then, continue trekking a short way to see the orangutan feeding at 2 pm. You may enjoy Leakey Camp at leisure till 4 pm.
– When you are ready, we will cruise downstream slowly.
– Dinner and stay overnight on the kelotok.
DAY 3 : HOUSEBOAT – SEKONYER RIVER VILLAGE – KUMAI – PANGKALAN BUN AIRPORT. (B)
– After breakfast, we will visit the Village of Sekonyer near the jetty of Tanjung Harapan Camp to see the daily activity of the local people. This tour is optional, depends on your flight schedule.
– From the village, we continue the trip to Kumai.
– From Kumai port we will transfer you to your hotel or the airport.
– End of tour and thank you for visiting Tanjung Puting National Park.
Our tour package includes:
– Transfer in-out from airport or hotel
– Houseboat (Kelotok) with full-board service
– Entrance fee to the national park
– English speaking guide
– Meals (NO palm oil products) as mentioned in the itinerary – beverages and local chef service during the tour. (Please let us know if you have any food allergies or special dietary)
– Contribution to local children’s education and women community (we allocate 5% of the tour price for this program)
– Fuel and clean water during the tour
– Rain coat, flash light, mosquito repellent.
– Flight tickets (Guidepost Tours can assist in selecting the best international flights and domestic connections in Indonesia)
– Travel insurance
– Souvenir and other personal expenses, please bring Indonesian Rupiah with you
– Gratuity for tour guide and boat crews
– There are no 5 star hotels, because you will explore rain forest in Borneo.
– Rimba Eco Lodge (optional) please check www.rimbaecolodge.com
– Bana Lodge (optional)
– If there is still enough time before your flight we can include a city tour to see the local market, Arut River, and Sultan Palace in Pangkalan Bun.
– We are always ready to take care of your trip. Itineraries can be tailored to include any special requests or interests, If any problems occur during the tour, your tour guides will do their best to make your trip run smooth and well throughout.
THINGS YOU MIGHT WANT TO PACK:
– Camera plus extra film and battery
– Water proof bags for your camera or electrical appliances
– Sun block to avoid sun exposure
– Long pants, long sleeves, and socks might also be needed to provide protection from mosquitoes. Mosquito nets are provided on board the kelotok.
– Medicine or other personal things.
All meals are fresh and hygienic.
Please advise us beforehand of any special dietary requirements.
Local government has BANNED the sale of any alcoholic beverages in recent years due to many accidents and problems.
INTERNET AND PHONE COVERAGE:
There is NO Internet and Phone Coverage in most of the Tanjung Putting National Park Area although Wi-Fi may be available in major towns.
Because if its proximity to the equator, Kalimantan has a tropical climate. Generally the weather is hot and humid (28-33 degree celcius) during the day, and wet in the evening.
You can draw your money via ATM’s here – Visa and MasterCard is readily accepted. The banks in Central Kalimantan are BNI (Bank Negara Indonesia), BRI (Bank Republik Indonesia), MANDIRI, and BCA (Bank Central Asia). Money changers are available at other big cities in Indonesia but are NOT available at Pangkalan Bun. We highly suggest that you change foreign currency to IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) before flying to Pangkalan Bun.